Kinesiology taping (or Kinesio taping) is the application of a thin, stretchy,
cotton-based therapeutic tape that can benefit a wide variety of injuries and
inflammatory conditions. It is almost identical to human skin in both thickness
and elasticity, which allows it to be worn without binding, constricting or restriction of movement.
You would have noticed that more and more professional athletes use kinesiology taping to improve their
sporting performance. Physiotherapists use kinesiology taping every day to assist muscles and
their interaction with your body. Not only does this potentially provide pain-free movement,
but it also helps your physiotherapist to determine which muscles or joints require additional control.
They can then prescribe the best exercises for your body. For advice whether kinesiology tape is suitable for
you, please consult your physiotherapist.
- Physically, the lifting action of the kinesiology tape may help to relieve pressure on pain
receptors directly under the skin. This reduced pressure may provide both short and medium-term pain relief.
- Chronic pain could improve via sensory stimulation of some nerve fibres.
- By lifting this skin, kinesiology taping provides a negative pressure under the tape.
This vacuum may allow the lymphatic drainage channels to drain swelling and other inflammatory cells away from the injured area.
- Based on kinesiology taping’s lift
and de-pressuring principle, it may be useful in the reduction of lymphoedema.
Reduced Muscle Fatigue, Cramps and DOMS.
- Exercise and repeated muscle contractions
produce post-exercise byproducts such as lactic acid. Lactic acid can cause
poor muscle performance, fatigue cramping and delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS).
- Kinesiology tape may help remove lactic acid and other exercise byproducts from the region,
which could assist muscle performance, reduce fatigue, cramps and DOMS.
Assists Weak or Injured Muscles
- Kinesiology tape may
provide both physical and neurological support for your dynamic
structures such as muscles. This support may assist everyday activities,
high-level sport or potentially low tone children.
Quicker Return to Sport, Work and Play
- By supporting weak or painful structures, kinesiology
tape may allow injured athletes to return to sport quicker than without the dynamic support.